Sometimes the best way to learn more about insurance is to sit back, relax and watch a video!
View our videos
Proud Partner in Education
Is a total loss out of the question?
When it Comes to Private Schools...We've Done Our Homework!
"...Their service and handling of claims have been outstanding, and they've always been there for us. We have been approached by many competitors over the years, but never found any justification or reason to leave Harwood & Son...." - Glenn Culley, CFO Hampden-Sydney College
"While Harwood and Son insured us through some of the biggest underwriters in the country, they also provided a personal level of service only found in a smaller, local business“ – Brian Ullrich CFO, Walk2Campus Properties
What Makes us Different?
We understand that each private school is unique and that no “standard” policy exists to fit every one of them. We will sit down with you and find out where your school is now, and where it is going, so an insurance program can be composed around the exclusive needs of your school. By offering several levels of deductibles and coverages, as well as a host of payment plans, we can customize a program that will work for you.
As an owner/partner of Keystone Insurers Group, the 5th largest privately owned insurance agency in the US, we are licensed in 48 states, and have written premiums in excess of $2 billion. We have has access to over 50 insurance companies, and an extensive array of products and services offered only by very large national firms including captives and self-insurance options.
Did you know Harwood & Son has been serving Virginia's independant schools for over 100 years?
ABCs and 123s…your students count on you for the knowledge they need to succeed. With insurance from Harwood & Son, you’ll have protection from an agency at the head of the class!
Our broad and flexible education program offers the protection you deserve at a price you can afford. In addition, we offer a broad array of value-added safety management services at no or minimal cost to your educational organization.
Property Coverage Advantages
- Disappearing deductible - for losses greater than 10 times the deductible amount
- Loss of income from planned fundraising events - actual loss sustained
- Tuition and fees
- Violent event extra expense
General Liability Coverage Advantages
- Limits applicable on a per location basis
- Any organization and its officers/members affiliated and associated with the school, including alumni associations, PTAs, booster clubs and similar associations are insureds under the policy
- Pollution exception for activities usual to classroom instruction on premises owned or rented
Business Automobile Coverage Advantages
- Additional insured – primary and non-contributory
- Limited physical damage coverage for employees and volunteers
- Towing & labor included
Abuse or Molestation
- Coverage for abuse or molestation actual or threatened / physical or mental
- Civil legal expense is included for innocent employees, volunteers and students-in-training
- Coverage for bodily injury resulting from the use of reasonable force, to protect persons/property or from corporal punishment to the student administered by, or at the direction of, any insured (e.g. this protects the employee who is breaking up a fight and accidentally injures a student).
Our agency can offer you something no other agency can – completely integrated HR services with your benefits through a one-of-a-kind web-based application.
• Our agency is part of our state’s largest employee benefits agency, bringing a strong background of innovative solutions to managing health care costs and benefit designs for our clients.
•With the advent of Health Care Reform mandates since October 2010, no other agency is better prepared to help its clients meet their obligations in the way that we can.
•From innovation on health care cost management, to compliance and bringing HR tools to your fingertips, we can do something entirely new.
•Many businesses are doing more with less, and what we can bring to the table is a way to make your human resources component more efficient – reduce the amount of administrative work they have to do today so that HR can focus on the strategic and episodic events that need more attention.
We can bring better ideas and skills to your employee benefits needs, assist you with staying in compliance with the web of federal and state laws on employee benefits, and make your HR and payroll operations more efficient through an exclusive web-based set of tools that can handle everything from benefit enrollment to COBRA to consolidated billing to payroll.
We also provide comprehensive Human Resource services including compliance, payroll (with unlimited reporting features, Group health, life, long term care - and more!